Addiction doesn’t discriminate. Anyone, regardless of age, gender, race, or economic status can struggle with addiction. However, there’s no denying factors like gender can influence why someone may have started abusing drugs in the first place, and how they can best overcome their addiction.
Men and women each experience varying biological and cultural differences when it comes to substance abuse. While men typically abuse drugs more to fit in and appease to peer pressure, women oftentimes abuse drugs or alcohol as a means to cope with trauma.
Gender-specific addiction treatment effectively provides tailored treatment options to clients to overcome addiction and maintain long-term sobriety. At Hammocks on the Edisto, we are a premier women’s treatment center in South Carolina that offers comprehensive treatment options to help our clients break free of addiction for good. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, contact us today to start your road to recovery.
What is Gender-Specific Treatment?
Gender-specific addiction treatment refers to programs offering separate treatment for men and women. Or exclusively treatment to one gender, such as a women’s drug rehab or a men’s drug rehab.
Although it’s essential for anyone struggling with addiction to seek professional support, gender-specific treatment offers more tailored treatment options to best treat your exact recovery needs. This is because men and women experience various biological, cultural, and psychological differences when it comes to addiction.
How does Gender Impact Addiction?
You may be surprised to learn how much gender impacts addiction and addiction recovery. First, often the primary reasons why men and women start abusing substances and become addicted to drugs and alcohol in the first place often differ.
Men typically abuse drugs and alcohol as a means to fit in and succumb to peer pressure to abuse certain substances. Meanwhile, women typically abuse drugs or alcohol as a means to cope with past traumatic experiences that may be causing them significant physical and mental strain. Understanding the reasons why one may have chosen to abuse drugs or alcohol in the first place (i.e., trauma, peer pressure, etc.) can often help when it comes to providing addiction recovery treatment.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment
Although seeking any professional addiction treatment to start your recovery journey is essential, it’s important you seek the right type of addiction treatment that best suits you and your exact needs.
Below are some of the benefits of gender-specific addiction treatment so you can receive tailored treatment according to your unique needs:
- Increased comfort: Many clients who are in gender-specific rehab centers feel more comfortable, which helps clients be more open, honest, and vulnerable during various treatments like group therapy. Plus, this also allows clients to give their full undivided attention and focus on their recovery.
- Ability to address gender-specific addiction issues: Oftentimes, men and women experience different social, cultural, and biological differences that influence their addiction. At gender-specific treatment centers, clients will learn and address these issues head-on to better overcome their own addiction.
- Reduced stigma: There can sometimes be a stigma to women attending addiction treatment, especially if a woman is a mother. Gender-specific addiction treatment minimizes these potential issues that can interfere with you getting the full support and care you need to overcome your addiction.
- Improved, long-term results: Clients who attend gender-specific addiction treatment typically experience higher rates of success and long-term results when it comes to maintaining sobriety.
- Customized treatment plans: Gender-specific addiction treatment also offers even more customized care to receive the unique treatment for your addiction while also tailoring your treatment to best overcome your addiction. For instance, alcohol treatment for women offers tailored support rather than more broad drug treatment for anyone struggling with any type of addiction.
Leading Women’s Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment in South Carolina
Now you know more about the many different benefits of gender-specific treatment. Although addiction can impact anyone, it’s important to seek addiction treatment especially tailored to you and your exact needs to achieve the best possible recovery outcome. Gender-specific addiction treatment centers offer highly custom treatment plans to help you overcome your addiction. Hammocks on the Edisto is a South Carolina drug and alcohol rehab for women to safely and effectively overcome addiction and live a happier, healthier quality of life. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you start your addiction recovery journey.